Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving


So I recently re-read my Thanksgiving blog from last year and…spoiler alert…there is no way this one is better. Last year’s Thanksgiving blog was a work of art. haha  But tradition is tradition, and so without further ado… my Thanksgiving list for this year.

 

So I’ll start out for the reason this list even exists - my family. I am so thankful for everything they have done for me in my life, all that they have sacrificed, all that they have withstood without so much of a complaint (I was a jerk), and for teaching me the core that has come to define my life. I am thankful for all of them for always being there for me and supporting me and allowing me to find my own way.  For allowing me to do things my way even if it isn’t the smartest idea. I’m thankful for Sunday finger foods, board games and naps.  For long car rides and terrible playlists for car music. For showing me so much of the world and letting me see some cool places.  For helping me out financially when I needed it.  Well, need it. Haha. All in all, I’m just so thankful and love my family. They are the best!

 

I’m thankful none of my family has died while I’ve been out here. I couldn’t imagine how hard that must be, and I give my props and sincerest condolences to anyone who has had to deal with that.

 

I’m thankful Ebola doesn’t exist in Paraguay.  This country is rough enough on your health -- don’t need that on top of it.  Plus, I really don’t want to die. haha

 

I’m thankful for my companions out here, for Anderson being the best trainer anybody could ask for and making the start of my mission exactly what I needed. It’s still been the best part of my time.

 

For Elder Menchaca teaching me to box and being a good friend. 

 

For Elder Stopper for countless hours of watching and talking soccer and for being a big teddy bear.

 

For Elder Beus for getting my off my butt and making me a working missionary again.

 

For Elder Alvizures for being a good friend and great talks about childhood shows and the World Cup.

 

For Elder McClelland for getting me back to the balance I needed in my mission and for having one heck of a good time.

 

For Elder Singer for giving me a purpose as I come to a close and for being a funny dude.

 

I’m thankful for the rest of my mission friends I’ve made along the way, from the MTC to these final weeks. Some of these guys are my closest friends, and I can’t wait to be able to kick it stateside with them.

 

I’m thankful for all the people who read this. This has been way more successful and read than I ever imagined.

I’m thankful for all my experiences out here. I have some great stories and some spiritual ones and some that are both. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s been worth it.

 

I’m thankful for the way the mission has opened up my eyes to what I needed to get back to and the bad habits I needed to leave behind and have left behind.

 

For making me realize I need to improve myself and get better all the time. For teaching me patience and hope and every other Christlike attribute.

 

I’m thankful for my childhood; it was truly a good time. Every time I think back I have nothing but fond memories.

 

I’m thankful for more than one chance. I’ve screwed some things up in my life and some things more times than I’d care to count, but if I’ve learned anything, you can always have another chance with the Lord and with people if you try hard enough.

 

I’m thankful this is my last one of these, as it’s a lot of writing.

 

I’m thankful in one month I’ll be home. I’ve missed it.

 

I’m thankful for America and everything it stands for and being the greatest country on earth, yes I’m biased, haha, but really.

 

I’m thankful for cars. No more buses! I’m thankful for roofs that don’t flood, buildings that don’t lose power, hot showers, and pizza.

 

For video games.

 

For couches.

 

For holidays.  Nothing better than that time with your family.

 

I’m thankful for all my friends I’ve made along the way in my life. 

 

And I’m thankful for the ones who have stuck with me through it all and always forgiven me. I’m sure it hasn’t been easy.

 

I’m thankful for the mission and how it has helped redefine me and improve me in ways I needed even if I’d never admit it.

 

I’m thankful for soccer, the beautiful game, and for rediscovering my love for it.

 

I’m thankful that Chelsea is unbeaten, the special one and the fabregas costa connection.

 

I’m thankful for Anahi and teaching me how to be a better friend and listen to what people truly need and helping them get there.

 

I’m thankful for Yuquyry, for the great friendships I’ve made here, and the way the people respond to our calls for help. 

 

I’m thankful for Jesus. Without him, my life means nothing and has no purpose.  I’m thankful that he was willing to sacrifice it all so that I might live. I’m thankful for his atonement and his love for me and for forgiving me so many times. I’m thankful for his gospel and the way it improves our lives if we only believe and live it. I’m thankful for finally having a real testimony, and I’m thankful for the path that led me there. 

 

I’m thankful for Game of Thrones teaching me the importance of trust and not getting killed, Arrow for teaching me how to survive trials and then come back as a billionaire vigilante.  For Sportscenter and the countless hours of highlights I‘ve seen.  For the Walking Dead preparing me for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. For Mad Men and the power of advertising and marketing. For Will Smith for saving the world over and over and over again. For Russell Crowe for teaching about leadership, showmanship and getting the job done.  For David Beckham for well being David Beckham. Dude is an icon. For Reggie Bush.  Still the best football player I have ever seen and a good guy. 

 

For girls. For the ones in the past who have taught me things, and for the one in the future who will change my life.

 

For haircuts and style.  I’ve learned an appreciation of both out here.  For faux hawks and steps and beards and chains. OK, maybe I’m still not stylish. haha 

 

For the geniuses who invented quesaritos, chicken and waffles, and BBQ.

 

For being happy, and not letting anyone or anything stop you from being that.  For you guys again for the support and reading this thing.  You’ve been amazing.

 

Love you all and take care,

 
Elder Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment